Sunday, October 31, 2010

No DIY Restoration for This Broken Down House

Many thanks to the fine folks at Sovereign Grace Church Sydney for the heads up on the works of Paul David Tripp. Dr Tripp is the president of Paul Tripp Ministries; former Minister at Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Professor of Pastoral Life & Care at Redeemer Seminary in Dallas, Texas as well as the Executive Director of the Center for Pastoral Life & Care in Fort Worth. In 2009, his book "Broken Down House" was published.

In the short video below, Dr. Tripp describes the broken down house our lives and our world have become as a result of sin, but that Jesus, the Divine Carpenter has entered the house to restore us to a house that God is building. A Shepherd Press release. A Film by Craig Claudin. 4 min.





"So one of the things that God's Spirit does... He reveals to us the degree of our own brokenness. God begins to open my eyes to the condition of my own heart: my selfishness, my greediness, my bitterness, my self-righteousness, my lust, my anger. And what He's doing is calling me away from that self-righteousness that tells me, "I'm okay just the way I am."

"Look, I am the broken down house. I need to be restored. It's not just the world around me.... "

As Christians, we should be the saddest community on earth... because our eyes should be opened and we should know how broken we are and how broken our world is. But that sadness is harmonized by notes of celebration, because although we realize that we're terribly broken and our world is terribly broken... we know that the Divine carpenter has entered the house with His tools of restoration and there's hope for us and there's hope for our world." - Paul David Tripp

Author Justin Taylor, an Elder at New Covenant Bible Church in Illinois and Vice President Editorial at Crossway, also shares his thoughts on "Broken Down House," as well as other works by Paul Tripp in his blog Between Two Worlds.

"...Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." - Paul (Philippians 1:6, NIV)

Praise our gracious God for His faithful work in His children!

Happy Reformation Day! Grace & Peace to you all!

No comments: